Monitor Connection
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Strategic Assault Squad -> PC Discussion

#1: No icon Monitor Connection Author: SUPERKING PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:19 pm
    —
I've been pondering for a while.. Now my monitor can support 120Hz and the games always run at 60Hz presumably because I use a HDMI cable to connect to the GCard.. Is it worth me using a dual link DVI cable to get the 120Hz @ 1080p or stick with the HDMI cable giving 60Hz @ 1080p?

#2: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: SgtCrillyLocation: Värnamo, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:36 pm
    —
In the "How to improve your aim" video by lvlcap he said 120 is the way to go, him and the other 1337-tubers use it since it gives you an edge.
So if you can do it i see no reason why not to go for it.

#3: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: Milos PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:04 pm
    —
more fps = better vision, 120 fps means you can literary see more when turning your soldier and such

#4: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: SgtCrillyLocation: Värnamo, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:14 pm
    —
Hz isnt fps milos...

Its not about how many times shit is drawn a second, but how many times the shit drawn is backlit and displayed a second, so higher rate is smoother and more fluid atleast thats how i understand it... Not that im an expert on anything but cars.

#5: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: SUPERKING PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:33 pm
    —
Hmm..

What do you guys use?

I suppose I could try DVI @ 120Hz again..

Is there a particular brand I should go for..  
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
seem good, and I suppose
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
is pointless?

#6: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: Milos PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:42 pm
    —
SgtCrilly wrote (View Post):
Hz isnt fps milos...

Its not about how many times shit is drawn a second, but how many times the shit drawn is backlit and displayed a second, so higher rate is smoother and more fluid atleast thats how i understand it... Not that im an expert on anything but cars.

i assumed he had the hardware to run 120+ fps, so a 120Hz monitor would be perfect then :P

#7: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: TillBGoodeLocation: Ashford PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:08 pm
    —
Is it a 3D monitor?

#8: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: _lecro_Location: England PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:17 pm
    —
Use DVI ..does matter how much you spend youll never see any difference with cables.
same goes for fps .. 120 or 1200 youll never see any difference.
by all means get 120hz monitor but i find they tend to look too fluid if thats possible bordering on blurry . I can of coarse  only speak from 20 years in the industry but everyones eyes are different
I would say checkout two side by side before you decide.

Finally if you plan on spending anything circa 400 quid i would recommend a 27" Dell UltraSharp

#9: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: SUPERKING PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:08 pm
    —
@Till - Yes it's 3D but I never use the 3D features

@Lecro - I'll try find side-by-side videos and give it a pop with the DVI cable see how things go.. tbh I dont think I will notice a difference but let's see..

#10: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: Enyaw PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:04 pm
    —
Your mopnitor will refresh at 120hz thats just fancy talk for 120 times a second normal monitor is usually 60.

If you PC performance is poor the monitor will do nothing if a game is running at 20fps it will just be updated 120 times a second its still 20 fps.
The increased frequency is to allow people to go 3d if they want which needs a much faster refresh rate to trick your brain into seeing the image difrently.

This also has a down side in some people as it will make you fit if suseptable hence epilepse warning for prolonged use  PDT_Armataz_01_05

#11: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: SUPERKING PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:57 pm
    —
Hmm..

Well I found these two (seemingly informative) vids on youtube..

Link

Link

#12: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: SUPERKING PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:16 pm
    —
Okay, here's the deal..

I've set up the 120Hz DVI connection. Immediately I notice a difference, colours look like they have a hell of a lot more depth and shading.. not white-washed as before.. v.briefly tested it out in game.. atm I cant notice much diff.. I barely scrape 60fps staring at the sky so there's that. However, I have noticed things are a lot more dark.. I cranked up the brightness from 55% to 85% and the corners of rooms and shrubs are still v.dark.. not sure if that's something to do with the digital vibrance settings I have, or the new patch out, or even if that's just how it should be but I've been 'cheating' in the sense of the layer of whiteness/high contrast from the previous cable..

Also to note, when I had the HDMI cable connected, I could, at times, notice as if my screen was split horizontally through the middle. On occasion, the upper half of the screen would shift a fraction of a second more than the lower half and vise versa.

Owh and one last thing, I sometimes notice rainbow effects during heavy activity, not sure if this is part of the new patch, something I've always missed.. or a glitch/artifact but  it seems very deliberate.. Thus far only on BF4.. Nothing on YouTube/Films, and haven't tried BF3 yet..

#13: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: Enyaw PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:42 pm
    —
Think the rainbow you refer to is the new your being shot at indication / suppressed  PDT_Armataz_01_20

#14: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: SUPERKING PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:03 pm
    —
Enyaw wrote (View Post):
Think the rainbow you refer to is the new your being shot at indication / suppressed  PDT_Armataz_01_20

Owh no! u serious?  PDT_Armataz_01_03   That's just horrible..  PDT_Armataz_01_07

#15: No icon Re: Monitor Connection Author: mike_rarwLocation: Oxford PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:34 am
    —
Noticed that strange effect to! Thought it was an artifact at first to, think it looks horrible.

Strategic Assault Squad -> PC Discussion

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2