OC temps - I7 920
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Strategic Assault Squad -> PC Discussion

#1: No icon OC temps - I7 920 Author: _lecro_Location: England PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:53 pm
    —
Ive been playing with some OCs today and got back to 4.2 which has been stable for gaming this time with an increase in volts .
ive not stress tested for 12 hours or anything but it seems fine ATM.

Only thing is im a bit concerned with the temps (possibly unduly) ,the cores are averaging about 36° @ idle and going up to Avg 57­° running prime95

Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

While everyones results will be interesting only identical or almost identical systems will be most specific. AFAIK only Mike and crilly still have a 1st gen I7. according to the  
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

#2: No icon Re: OC temps - I7 920 Author: SgtCrillyLocation: Värnamo, Sweden PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:59 pm
    —
Did some testing with the help of Lecro, failed a bit with the screenshot butt the important info should be there... The temps are too high! Too damn high...
Guess i need to take appart my chassi and make shure the airflow is right through it.
First one is after a restart and second one is 10min into a stress test.
GPU temp was 45-47 degrees so only CPU running hot.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

#3: No icon Re: OC temps - I7 920 Author: _lecro_Location: England PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:06 am
    —
Those temps seem roasting to me..
can you post a screenie of CPUz as well

#4: No icon Re: OC temps - I7 920 Author: SgtCrillyLocation: Värnamo, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:18 am
    —
Can do today after work.

#5: No icon Re: OC temps - I7 920 Author: mike_rarwLocation: Oxford PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:43 pm
    —
Have just started running prime 95 and hitting very similar temp results to you lecro. but looks like my cpu is aging badly after 3 years(ish) @4.2ghz and gave me an error after about 5 mins lol. May explain the odd crash i have been getting in the last few weeks.. Time for more volts! PDT_Armataz_01_12 haha.

Also found it interesting that its not just my chip that runs a few degrees hotter on the #0 core. Wonder why that is?

Other thing is how would i go about posting my screenshots on the forum? Thanks.

#6: No icon Re: OC temps - I7 920 Author: mike_rarwLocation: Oxford PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:09 pm
    —
Just upped the vcore a touch so will see if stability improves. Temps are still reasonable but should be as the only thing in my water loop is the cpu with a 360mm rad.
[img]
Get registered or Log in
[/img]

What cooler you using crilly? seem a little on the warm side, not so much id be worried tho gaming will never stress like prime95.

#7: No icon Re: OC temps - I7 920 Author: SgtCrillyLocation: Värnamo, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:48 pm
    —
New screenshots:
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in

Im not using any external cooling, just the 3 fans in the tower and whatever is stuck to the hardware.
More worried about the high idle temp than the stress test temp.

#8: No icon Re: OC temps - I7 920 Author: _lecro_Location: England PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:08 am
    —
Mmmm the idle temps do now seem a little high for the volts thats going through
stressed is high but you are on air cooling.
I think if it was me i would reseat the cpu with some arctic silver or whatever you have..

#9: No icon Re: OC temps - I7 920 Author: SgtCrillyLocation: Värnamo, Sweden PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:51 pm
    —
Say what? You want me to yank out the cpu chip and add some cooling paste?
All i got is ceramic paste for car brakes... Dunno if im that comfortable pulling it out either  PDT_Armataz_01_18

But noticed something else, the backside of my chassi is electrified. Stings to touch, would say between 4-9 volt. Could that have anything to do with it? Couldnt find any leads that could be shorted to the chassi either.

#10: No icon Re: OC temps - I7 920 Author: _lecro_Location: England PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:58 pm
    —
SgtCrilly wrote (View Post):
Say what? You want me to yank out the cpu chip and add some cooling paste?
All i got is ceramic paste for car brakes... Dunno if im that comfortable pulling it out either  PDT_Armataz_01_18

But noticed something else, the backside of my chassi is electrified. Stings to touch, would say between 4-9 volt. Could that have anything to do with it? Couldn't find any leads that could be shorted to the chassis either.

Seriously WTF .. have you only just noticed this ?

PSU .. possibly .
Some peripheral plugged into your pc ( printer ect )

Id be very concerned though .. potential system fubar .

Unplug everything , when it stops being live youve found the culprit .

#11: No icon Re: OC temps - I7 920 Author: mike_rarwLocation: Oxford PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:05 pm
    —
Should defo not be electrified.. not sure how it would affect temps at all but would scare me tbh..
What lecro is saying you could try removing the cooler and all the old grease and reapplying some decent stuff. has worked for me in the past with my northbridge.

#12: No icon Re: OC temps - I7 920 Author: SgtCrillyLocation: Värnamo, Sweden PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:07 pm
    —
It hasnt been like that for long, must have come when i changed the GPU. It wasnt electric before that. Havent done anything else to the comp upto now when i changed mouse and joystick and noticed it zapped me.

#13: No icon Re: OC temps - I7 920 Author: _lecro_Location: England PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:00 pm
    —
Pull gpu out and see if its the same !

Strategic Assault Squad -> PC Discussion

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1